Monday, April 12, 2010

Lazy & Physical Education... They Don't Mix.

In light of an earlier blog regarding my experience trying to lead an exercise class in a regularly scheduled PE class and, well basically failing, I came across another student who just experienced a similar problem. It seems she was teaching her lesson for her PE class, a modified kickball game, and many of the students chose to stand around rather than participate. When she went over to try to encourage them to move or get in the game she got unpleasant looks. One girl even said that this was "too much work." Now, I am really getting fed up with this trend thats happening with PE majors. If students think they can just get by to go on to roll out a ball in class or stand on the side with a whistle, well their wake up call will be soon ahead. I can't say enough that phys ed majors need to ENJOY physical activity. It's not that hard so why are we making it hard? I may have found a new goal... maybe I will work to get to the root of this problem; get my masters, doctorate, and then teach at the collegiate level to eradicate the laziness from physical education, beginning with the future PE teachers! OK, that may be unrealistic seeing that 6 years of schooling & 2 degrees could be enough fo this gil, but SOMETHING needs to change.

1 comment:

  1. Jen, I know exactly what you mean. I am only a sophomore in college and I see PE majors make comments and not participate every day in my classes. I don't get it..why would you want to be a PE major and not want to do physical activity everyday...its kind of what the rest of your life will be like. Well I agree that there is a root to this problem and I will go with you to find it!

    ReplyDelete