I'm Jen Lanke. A post-bacc student at Slippery Rock University, studying for my second degree in Health and Phys Ed (the first was Exercise Science also from SRU). Group fitness is one of my passions. I teach 4 classes a week between the ARC at Slippery Rock and the Grove City YMCA. So here is my issue:
I was asked to teach a group fitness class, one I created called Plyo Pump in one of my PE classes. Sure I understand it wasn't along with the curriculum, but we are PE majors and should enjoy movement. The whole "practice what you preach" needs to come into play in our everyday lives. Out of about 35-40 students that are enrolled in this class, 15 showed up. Everyone knew exactly what we were doing, and since they were too lazy they decided not to come.
Let me preface this by saying that before each PE class we do a warm up, which involves running 2 laps (mind you its 8 laps around this track for a mile) around a track and then some dynamic stretching before we begin our activity for the day. EVERYONE complains about just running these two laps, and people in class even run off to the bathroom or hide to get out of running. This is the future of physical education; laziness. It goes well with the current trend in society as well, you know, the trend that as physical education majors we should be trying to BREAK.
Long story short, my teacher decided (seeing that her and I were pretty upset by what happened) that we would do something different for class that day and instead I'll teach my class on this coming Tuesday when no one is expecting it. HA. We'll see how that goes!
So bottom line is, if you are going to be learning how to motivate and push students to become physically active, to lead healthy lifetsyles full of activity then maybe you yourself should enjoy moving. Otherwise, this isn't the field for you.
Saturday, April 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm sorry to hear that no one came to your class, but I told you that was probably going to happen. I wouldn't take it personal though, people are just lazy like you said. They just don't want to do more than they really have too. However, I don't think P.E. teachers overall are getting lazy. That particular group maybe, but for the most part I think their quite active. I wish I could be there Tuesday though to see how shocked and angry everyone is. That is going to be hilarious
ReplyDeleteYour class was great! I love doing classes like that and I wouldn't mind if you taught that class for the rest of the semester! I think people are just so used to complaining about everything and never appreciating what is right of them. Hopefully when everyone gets out into the teaching world that they will promote PA and be motivating. Keep doing what you are doing, you did awesome.
ReplyDelete