Today I just got back fom an outdoor adventure backpacking trip with my outdoor pursuits class. Going into this weekend trip, I was prepared as much as I could have been. Carrying nothing but what you can carry on your back in a pack that weighs about 40lbs is an experience on a 10 mile hike. We hiked fo 5 hours the first day through beautiful terrain. The weather was a perfect 60 degrees & sunny and it couldnt have been any better. We took many breaks through the hike to stop and enjoy the scenery, and also for a lunch break. As we got into camp, we set up our tents and general campsite area, getting the fire started fo dinner. After a good hot meal it began to get dark and our energy was wearing from the day. We played a number of games for some fun around the campfire. We could all tell we were forming an even tighter bond than we had already established in class. Though the night was cold and a hard nights sleep we woke up the next moning ready to go. We had a quick breakfast, packed up our gear and swept the site for garbage and then hit the road for home. Only about 2 miles to go, but it was straight uphill! We made it in one piece and walked out of the woods a bit tighter, smarter, and stronger.
I believe that adventure education is a great character builder. The adventures you encounter mold you into a stronger, more well rounded person. I truely believe its an important part of physical education, this backpacking trip solidified that.
Sunday, April 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with everything you said Jenn! I loved this weekend and got to know the people we went with better as well as getting to know my group of friends a lot better. I really enjoyed this weekend because it made me a stronger person and made me realize my limits. I agree with it being a big part of the phys ed curriculum because it really gets everyone out of their comfort zones and that is a big part of physical education, which is what we will be teaching.
ReplyDeleteJenn, you failed to mention the many memories we made around the campfire. I was very hesitant going into this backpacking trip because I had never been backpacking before. We all had each others backs and encouraged each other to keep going. I can't say that happens in every class. I totally agree with your insight on providing outdoor education and outreach for students. It allows them to build their own character and help others build there's as well. My favorite part was our tent cuddling this morning. :)
ReplyDeleteReading this got my really excited for our backpacking trip. I know already that I'm going to enjoy myself. My only problem with this is that both sections should have gone together. I think that would be such a good time. I really can't wait!
ReplyDelete